Monday, July 02, 2007

Emilio Skein

It is time.

I've had this completed for over a week now and it's time to share it with you all. This is the first completed skein of Alpaca fiber from Squire Creek Ranch. The fiber for this skein is 100% Emilio*. It is 3 5/8 ounces (I forgot to weigh the fiber out for this before spinning due to complete and utter ignorance as to how far this stuff goes otherwise it would have been 4 ounces.) and is approximately 444 yds and a two ply yarn. This was an absolute dream to spin up and was probably the easiest and most pleasant spinning I've ever done. This fiber just wants to be a fine yarn and screams for a lace weight spinning. I cannot tell you what the WPI is but I believe this is the finest spinning I've done as of yet. What the picture does not show you is how utterly soft and lustrous this fiber is. It's all I can to to keep it in the bag so I don't pet it every day. To be honest.....if it weren't for the fact that I have more of this delicious fiber to use for myself, I'd have a hard time handing this over. (I do believe I see lace knitting in my future with some skeins of hand spun alpaca!drool.)

The next skein will be of Joaquin*. That fiber has been weighed out, combed and is awaiting a trip through the carder. It is slated as the first project for the Tour de Fleece for me and I can't wait to dive in. For this skein, I plan on adjusting my wheel ratio, which in theory will make it go faster. However, we all know that when I make changes strange things happen, so we'll see. I was sorely tempted to change it during the spinning of Emilio, but wanted to make sure the skein came out balanced and was afraid of messing things up by changing anything. It's all a learning experience, so we'll see.

** To see pictures of Emilio and Joaquin, click on the Squire Creek Ranch link above and then chose "Herd sires" from the menu on the left hand side. Both are pictured there....just scroll down a bit.

2 comments:

Taueret said...

it looks bewetiful April! Why/to whom do you have to hand it (over)?

April said...

Thanks for the kudos! This skein as well as one more from Joaquin are sample skeins that I am gifting to the gentlemen that own them. They generously gave me a carload of alpaca and mentioned that they would like to see a skein from these two specific Alpacca. I thought I'd gift them the two skeins so they would have them in the future. It seems the least I can do to repay their generosity a bit. It's been such a joy to spin! I can't wait to start the second one.