So here's a bit of a step by step. I had read in a few places that silk takes quite a pre-soaking for it to be able to absorb dye. Therefore, I put it in to soak last night with a couple drops of washing soap to act as a wetting agent. I later read that it only has to soak for approx 30 minutes. lol. Right before dyeing, I spun out the excess water in my washing machine.
Here's my fancy dye cups. :) I used Mango Kool Aid, Navy Blue Rit liquid dye, and Scarlet Rit Liquid dye. Since I was going to be "painting" the dye one, I mixed approximately 3 ounces of vinegar into each dye cup.
I laid out some scrap towels on my counter top since I tend to be a bit sloppy when I'm doing anything "artistic". On top of the towels I laid out two sheets of plastic wrap, overlapping each to make one wider sheet. (I really recommend that you do NOT use the Press and seal type of plastic wrap for this. The "sticky" side of it will grab the silk fibers too much, and having the sticky side out can cause some other difficulties. Unfortunately, I discovered this too late in the game, and it's all I had to work with so I just dealt with it. I'll buy some inexpensive plastic wrap and keep it in my dyeing kit for the future.) On top of the plastic wrap I laid out the silk cap.
And here it is laying on the drying rack in the living room. I can not wait for this to dry! I've never spun from a silk cap before, so this is all a learning experience for me. I can't wait to peel off the layer and work them into roving to spin from. I'm sure I'll take some pics of that process too.....provided I don't get carried away. I'm very happy with the bright colors achieved on this one!